How to Stay Compliant with SMS Regulations in Turkey
The Turkish government regulates the sending of SMS messages in Turkey to protect consumers from spam and unwanted messages.
- Country code -; TR
- Calling code -; +90
- Mobile number portability (MNP) -; Yes
- Mobile Country Codes(MCC) -; 286
The Information and Communication Technologies Authority (ICTA) is Turkey's national telecommunications regulatory and inspection authority. The major carriers in Turkey's telecommunications business are Turk Telecom, Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri, and Vodafone Turkey
Here are some of the Key Regulations for Sending SMS in Turkey:
- The Alphanumeric SenderID must be registered in all Turkish Networks.
- Messages must include a 4-digit operator identifier assigned by the Turkish Telecom Board.
- The maximum length of an SMS message is 160 characters.
- Out of 160 characters, five are reserved for operator codes at the end of the body text. (e.g B002).
- Get permission from customers before sending them a message. Customers can opt-in by giving permission via SMS, filling out an online form, or verbally giving consent.
- For marketing, ‘SMS Opt-Out’ must be included in the text.
- For money/bank-related messages, the SenderIDs require an official authorization letter from the end client.
- Person-to-person (P2P) traffic, as well as content related to gambling, politics, and religion, are prohibited.
- Messages that contain operator names or improper contents are forbidden.
- Avoid sending retail SMS marketing messages between 9 p.m. and 8 a.m. in the recipient's time zone. These are considered quiet hours.
- Generic sender IDs such as INFO, SMS, and NOTICE are prohibited. Alpha Sender IDs are case-sensitive and must contain the brand name.
The Process of SenderID Registration
- Please provide the following information to the D7 sales team, and we will process your registration
- Company Name
- The Content of the message
- Website URL
- Company or brand registration document (this document proves that the SenderID belongs to the company, and the document has to contain the Sender ID):
2. The set-up time for registration is 5 working days.
In this specific country, International SMS and National SMS are charged at the same rates. The charge for the service is per every submitted SMS. Visit Pricing for more details about rates.